Refugio Amazonas is a 32-bedroom lodge four hours from the Puerto Maldonado airport. It is ideal for soft adventurers and families, and has a rainforest trail designed especially for children, the only one in the Peruvian Amazon.Because it takes a half-day to travel from Puerto Maldonado to Refugio Amazonas, we recommend visitors spend three nights to make their trip worthwhile. Travelers to the Tambopata Research Center
also stop off at the Refugio on the way to and from the TRC.Refugio Amazonas is located in a 200-hectare private reserve within the buffer zone of the Tambopata National Reserve. Rainforest Expeditions is partnering with local families, who sustainably harvest Brazil nuts from the surrounding rainforest, to ensure that they share in the benefits of ecotourism.
Quick Facts About Refugio Amazonas
- Raised Boardwalks - Four wings of 8 rooms connected by raised boardwalks
- Private Bathrooms– All of the bathrooms at Refugio Amazonas are private.
- Hot Water - Hot water is available in this and all of our other lodges.
- Dining Room and Loft - The dining room is a huge open building with a loft on the second story for an eye level view of the surrounding rainforest canopy.
- Great for Children – Refugio Amazonas has a rainforest trail and a children’s playground.
- Wellness Center – Refugio Amazonas contains a wellness and holistic center for massages and aromatherapy.
Refugio Amazonas Activities
- Canopy Tower – Our 30 meter scaffolding canopy tower gives you spectacular views of the vast expanses of standing forest. You will have good chances of spotting toucans, parrots, macaws or mixed species canopy flocks.
- Lake - We will paddle around the Lake Condenado on a catamaran, looking for wildlife such a hoatzin, caiman or horned screamers.
- Claylicks - From a blind you will see parrots and parakeets descend on most clear days to ingest the clay on a river bank.
- Cultural Activities – Visit an ethnobotanical trail, working jungle farm, and a real Brazil nut concession.
- Extra Activities- Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Canopy Climbing, Children’s Trail, Wellness Center